Thursday 27 September 2012

Grape Futures (12)

I am sure you are all waiting to find out how things went.

Did it all turn into vinegar ? Has it been poured down the sink ?

Neither of the above.

After 12 days fermentation
Fermentation proceeded smoothly for about 12 days until I decided to remove the skins, seeds etc and let the remaining liquid settle in the fridge for a week or so.

After removing the skins
By doing this I was simulating the traditional onset of lower Winter temperatures in the winery, where the wine would spend the winter in tank, before malolactic fermentation triggered by rising temperatures in the Spring.

Having let the lees settle at low temperature it was time to remove the liquid (racking), which could now be described as wine although as yet a very young wine, placing it in another vessel, where it would settle some more, at room temperature.

Some of the lees after racking

The clear liquid after racking
Another few days to wait until malolactic fermentation starts (or not), another racking and the process will be complete.

It has not been very scientific, I agree.

I have no sugar content, alcohol content, pH, total acidity readings or any other data to share with you, but I do have something which looks and smells very much like wine.

I will let you know how it tastes soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment