Thursday 2 August 2012

Midweek supper wines


I couldn't help laughing (out loud I might add) at the editorial in the September 2012 issue of Decanter.

Guy Woodward writes blithely of 'those midweek supper wines of £15-20', advising us to read the article by Oz Clarke on the 'new' Bordeaux wines now offering good value.

I don't know who Mark has his midweek suppers with, but my own midweek supper wine budget is around the £5 mark. I am sure that says more about me than I would care to admit.

I have written about these wines in my occasional series 'Everyday Drinkers'. So far none have been from Bordeaux. But then again I limit my search for these value for money wines to local supermarkets, there being no wine merchant nearby.

That is not to say that Bordeaux does not offer value at anything under the £15-20 mark. I have personally sampled many excellent wines from this region at around £10 or less.

I just wonder if it is worth spending the extra fiver for a midweek supper.

Decanter website

No comments:

Post a Comment