Monday 23 May 2011

Weeds

Spent some time in the garden today weeding. Of course weeds are not weeds. They are just plants some human being doesn't want growing in a particular place. My problem was that my onions were being crowded by various species of indigenous plants so I wanted to give them a bit of space. The indigenous plants ended up on the compost and they will find their way back into the soil in few months time.

Of course some 'weeds' such as those in the photo I sowed on purpose to provide flowers and ground cover.  All in all I welcome plants wherever they may grow but sometimes they need to be moved so I can grow something I like or need. I suppose the idea is to remove what you need to remove and make sure the rest of the plant population is composed of plants you like, or non-invasive annuals.

I think of vineyards with bare soil under the vines and wonder how much herbicide was used to achieve such a result. I have never seen anyone weeding under vines. Most organic producers will plough a strip on either side to keep invasive plants in check. I have though weeded a vineyard once at Marden (Herbert Hall run by Nick Hall): removed a lot of very vigorous fat hen from around some very young vines which were being bullied. A truly organic approach to vineyard management, just elbow grease. Reminds me of Domaine des Côtes de la Molière in the Beaujolais where the owners idea of vineyard management is to wield a hoe. There are others I could mention.

Plants are there because they want to be there even if they are 'weeds'. We should learn to live with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment