Friday 20 May 2011

My very first blog

This is my very first blog and my very first post on it.


So down to business.


The garden element: metaphorical in the sense of Voltaire's injunction to 'cultiver son jardin' (cultivate one's garden) that is to know one's self and perfect it whenever possible, and literal in the sense of cultivating; that is, digging, forking, sowing, planting and generally tending to one's very real garden. Metaphorical in the sense that the garden is the microcosm and the symbol of man's relationship with the earth, the Earth and Gaia, and his dependence on them (literally).




The vine element: metaphorical in the sense that this plant symbolise's man's transformation of the natural into something super-natural - grapes into wine and spirit; and literal as a fascinating plant which is present in practically all literature and about which more has no doubt been written than any other plant (although this is just a supposition).


There it is. I have set out more or less what this blog will be about and hope it will make sense. But will it be gardening and wine ? Or philosophy and ecology ? No doubt this will become clearer when I have posted a few times and have myself a clearer understanding of where I am going.

No comments:

Post a Comment