Wednesday 12 December 2012

Wines I would love to meet

Sitting here on a cold foggy London evening I dream of wines I would love to meet, taste, drink.

Not the mythical vintages of Bordeaux or Port, but wines out of the ordinary in a more modest way.

Amphora wines, qvevri wines, wines made from very obscure grapes, from up the side of volcanoes,  from vines in little hollows in a rocky desert, obscure champagnes from the Aube, Pinot Noirs from the Yonne and the Languedoc, wines from vines growing on their own roots, ice wines, unexpected blends, wines with no additives of any kind, wines made from hybrid grape varieties, reds vinified as whites, 'orange' whites...

And where would I like to drink them? Usually I would do that in situ, right where they are made, with the local signature dish, whatever that might be.

But just now I can imagine a small wine shop or wine bar, with an open fire, and wines coming straight out of the barrel, and a selection of great serrano ham, rillettes, cheeses etc on tasty pain de campagne, along with something cooking slowly in a large cauldron...

It is good to dream of all these things in this deep midwinter. And, yes, I did say wines I would like to meet.

Wines are like people, you must meet them, like you would meet those who make them.


No comments:

Post a Comment